Ads 468x60px

Sunday

Review: Contract Killer: Sniper

Contract Killer: Sniper is the latest instalment in Glu's Contract Killer series, and I must confess that, even though I wasn't a massive fan of the previous entry, this new one has me intrigued.
 
I assumed that the focus would be much more on pure sniping, but as I've already seen in my hands-on video, that isn't the case - Killer comes with assault weapons and a base building element too.
How will Contract Killer: Sniper last over a full seven days of scrutinous investigation? What else does the game have up its sleeve? Find out as I play it over the course of a week and report back to you, dear PG readers.
First impressions
So yes, Contract Killer: Sniper is not, as you might expect, all about sniping. But there's sniping to be found.
Within minutes of loading up the game you're firing assault rifles into baddies, and pretty soon you'll start playing with futuristic electric weapons, chucking throwing knives, and shooting LAWs.
Maps reflect the weapon you're using, so where sniper rifle stages are set over large levels, areas where you're firing a machine gun are much more confined and contained.
You can jump from cover to cover, but it only seems to matter in the more close combat-focused scenarios.
So far I'm enjoying myself. Hunting for targets is super fun, the controls are responsive enough to get what you need to do done, and there's a neat slow motion effect that occurs whenever you put the last bullet into an evil-doer.
If there's a downside that's present after just a little while with the game, then it's that the story is already a complete write off - something about a shadowy NGO delivering justice when the law cannot because something something blah blah blah.
It's tripe, and the characters are one-dimensional, but I very much doubt anyone's coming to Contract Killer looking for narrative.